Food and the city..the hags are here to eat and then tell you about it!

Thursday, April 06, 2006

CHO SAN - revisited


I’m not one for remembering dates. But after nine years of remembering when my hubby and myself first started ‘dating’, you’d think I would remember this year. But apparently marriage does this to people. It deceptively infiltrates peoples minds and wipes out certain sections like a virus. Imagine my shock and horror on only realizing it halfway through the day when hubby texts me.



So that’s how we ended up at Cho San again. Yup we were there exactly one year ago as it is quite dear and we only save it for really special occasions. Sad I know.

It was like de ja vu. We were seated at the same table, in the same positions. Fish tank on my right, waitress (an older lady who I think owns the restaurant) on my left, the sushi chef at eleven o’clock.

For a Wednesday they were pretty busy, but not packed. Service as usual was attentive and prompt. We decided to hit all the side dishes we had never tried before, plus the irresistible sashimi boat.

First up – beef heart. Not my choice but in the spirit of trying things new I did have a nibble. More than a nibble in fact. Chewy, tough with a gamey aftertaste. Squeeze a bit of lemon onto a piece to bring out the flavour. Great with a swig of Asahi. I have to admit that the thought of eating another animal’s myocyte (heart muscle to you) did scream from the deep recesses of my mind.


Sauted asparagus in what tasted like butter and soy sauce. Great combo.



Whelks in a watery soup with lemon. Never had whelks before. Tasted much the same as snails but much bigger and chewier.


Cold yam noodle salad with sesame seeds. Quite an unusual and refreshing dish.


Steamed clams – a little disappointing as they were a bit bland and chewy. Did an embarrassing thing. Claims were perched daintily upon white mounds. I automatically thought that these white mounds were pulped raddish. I swear they look exactly the same! I took a huge portion of it with my chopsticks. As I placed it delicately in my mouth I happened to look at the sushi chef looking at me. His eyes widened momentarily as he watched in slow motion what was unfolding. He raised his arm to warn me – but alas it was too late. I had just put a whole mound of salt into my mouth. You have been warned.



Grilled salted sea bream head – delicious, but a little expensive for a part of a fish that most people throw away. Not much meat there at all.


The sushi and sashimi boat was a little disappointing. Not as fresh and with thinner pieces of fish.

Would actually think twice about coming here again whether it would be on a special occasion or otherwise. I know other places that are much more consistent, reasonably priced and offer a wide variety – Asakusa.


HRH





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home