Food and the city..the hags are here to eat and then tell you about it!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What to do with Asbach?...Rudesheimer Coffee

I had the pleasure of visiting friends in Frankfurt during my travels of late and was taken to this little town on the Rhine called Rudesheim about an hour drive out of the city. Here, my friends introduced me to the famous liqueur coffee, a concoction advertised on signs at the tourist eateries in town. After trying it, I can only report that I am impartial to it, but then I have not had that many liqueur coffees in my life time. For fans of a hot cocktail, with all the majesty of fire, cream and chocolate, here is the recipe, give it a go!

At least as famous as the Coffee itself is the liqueur Asbach, produced in the area, is the key ingredient. See www.asbach.de

Ingredients:
3 sugar cubes
4 cl Asbach
Hot coffee
Whipped cream
Vanilla sugar
Grated dark chocolate

Method:
1. Put 3 cubes of sugar in a cup (or in an 'original' Rudesheimer Coffee cup), pour over 4 cl well-heated Asbach and light.
2. Stir and allow to burn for about one minute.
3. Pour in hot coffee and fill to about 2cm below the rim.
4. Place a scoop of whipped cream sweetened with vanilla sugar on top.
5. Sprinkle with grated dark chocolate.
6. Enjoy the hot delight through the cool cream.

OR for the Cold Delight

Ingredients:
4 cl Asbach
3 scoops Vanilla ice cream

Sweetened and cooled coffee
Whipped cream
Vanilla sugar
Grated dark chocolate

Method:
1. Pour 4 cl Asbach over the vanilla ice cream.
2. Pour in iced coffee and fill up to just below the rim.
3. Top with a scoop of whipped cream sweetened with vanilla sugar.
4. Sprinkle with grated dark chocolate.
5. Serve with a straw and spoon.


And what can I report of Rudesheim itself?... with vineyards wrapping the shores of the Rhine and the setting sun splashing its golden rays over the picture perfect landscape...need I say more than just autumn at its loveliest that I have seen in a long time.

Perth Hag.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home