Food and the city..the hags are here to eat and then tell you about it!

Monday, July 23, 2007

FOOD GARDEN CAFÉ AT SELFRIDGES

4th Floor Selfridges
400 Oxford St
London
W1A 2LR

Opening times:

Monday 09.30 - 21.00
Tuesday 09.30 - 21.00
Wednesday 09.30 - 21.00
Thursday 09.30 - 21.00
Friday 09.30 - 21.00
Saturday 09.30 - 21.00
Sunday 11.30 - 18.15

Closest Tube: Bond Steet or Marble Arch


If I told you that one of the best Char Kway Teow’s I’ve had in London was in Selfridge’s – well, you would probably throw me in the darkest dungeon and throw away the key. I swear it’s true and this is coming from a sceptic…even from the moment I stepped towards the Oriental counter and arched one doubting eyebrow at the menu.

The way it works with the stir fry noodles and indeed with the soup dishes is that you choose the type of noodle you desire (egg noodles, white rice noodles, vermicelli) and the type of meat (chicken, seafood, red meat) and then dictate the style of dish (char kway teow, thai style…sorry I really can’t remember the rest).

A Chinese chef casually joked away in Mandarin with his colleague whilst they both cooked our dishes from scratch before our eyes with nonchalant speed. Huge woks on flaming gas burners…essential for a great char kway teow. Huge fresh prawns were used and generously given.

I could have been starving but the result was gorgeous. I’ve eaten char kway teow in Penang at a famous hawker stall and this comes quite close. Although those who like it with clams will be slightly miffed. Not cheap at around 7.50 but well worth it if you happen to be there anyway.

My hubby had the seafood curry laksa, again cooked from scratch using a paste. I wouldn’t rate it highly, as I do like my curry laksa to be quite rich and artery clogging – but not bad.

The other counters looked good – Western, Indian etc. The Indian counter offered a vegetarian and non-vegetarian thali (selection of 5 dishes served with rice, daal and naan served on a metallic platter). Looked great and we saw heaps of Asian people tucking into these. Must try it next time.

HRH

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went on the weekend and have to vouch for your vote as best kuey teow in London. There were 2 chefs though and I think the older one made a more perfect one than the other. Si Hum was definitely the only missing ingredient which is just wishful thinking...

4:38 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aSIAN FOODS are one of the tastiest, hope you could try some, especially Filipino cuisine :-) Busby SEO challenge

KabonFootPrint

1:12 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home